People are starting to think about going back to school, and buying school supplies….And backpacks are one of the most important things that you buy for your kid. So here are some thoughts on backpacks from a teacher:
- Don’t buy those backpacks on wheels for anyone under 12. Just don’t.
- Backpacks that have attachable lunchbags are the best, from this mom’s perspective.
- Preschoolers need backpacks large enough to put 8×11 papers in.
- Which means no goofy backpacks shaped like teddybears, or sized for toddlers.
- Check your child’s backpack when he/she comes home from school. EVERY DAY.
- Please do not allow your child to keep treasures of various kinds in their backpack.
- Please do not allow your child to keep school supplies in his/her backpack. They will all end up broken and dried out at the bottom of the bag.
- Please take out your child’s work each day and admire it. And either toss it or find a safe place for it. Under no circumstances should you put it BACK in the backpack!
Okay, got that off my chest. Have fun buying backpacks for your children! (Gapkids has backpacks with attachable lunchboxes, too.)
(image courtesy of discoveryeducation.com)