There were five adults in my room today.
- the school psychologist had his hands full with Max
- Nan had her hands full with David
- my college volunteer had her hands full with the Spanish-speaking kids
- my new assistant had her hands full just trying to get to know the class, the room, the kids, the job, and trying to run an art project
- and I had my hands full with trying to simultaneously keep an eye on everything and assess kids one-on-one for the parent conferences….
…So no one noticed when Leo, over in the reading corner, wrapped the cord of my electric pencil sharpener around his neck, thus bringing the thing down on his head, where it came apart and sent pencil shavings all over him.
Poor child didn’t know what to do, so he sat there quietly until Nan, horrified, noticed what had happened. (Thank goodness he was entirely unhurt.)
Nan and the assistant cleaned him up and he is fine. But I feel terrible. Did I say I was a good teacher? I am having little failures all over the place!